By 2018 according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the medical field of radiology technology are expected to experience a ‘rapid growth rate’. In 2008 on an average there were 208,000 people in this field which anticipates a higher growth rate of radiology technicians in the coming years. Professionals possessing knowledge of multiple systems and having certifications have higher chances of career advancement in the market. Since CT Scan and MRI Scans produce clearer images than X-rays, so the employers who have the ability to conduct CT Scan and MRI Scans are really appealing in the markets.
Additionally with the advancements in the technology, medical equipments are becoming more mobile and because of this mobility the availability of these equipments is increasing more at other places than hospitals. Currently hospitals possess radiology positions followed by private physicians, diagnostic laboratories and military facilities.
Importance of Radiology Technician :
• Only a good radiology technician is able to produce a clear accurate image of the body which makes it easier for the physician to understand and diagnose the exact problem areas.
• Technicians handle equipments which include X-ray, mammography, Computerized axial tomography and position emission tomography scan devices.
• Radiology technicians guide the patients through each and every step to be followed for their medical procedures, so that to get high quality images.
• Radiology technicians play a vital role in pacifying the restlessness of the patient who are bothered about the proceedings and their condition.
• While performing imaging procedures radiations are emitted, so it is the responsibility of radiology technicians to ensure that the patients are safe throughout and are not overexposed. During the procedures the areas of the body which are not to be scanned will be covered with lead shields.
• Technicians should follow the instructions of the physician because the images captured will be according to physician’s instruction and you will be working together in order to get the correct images for diagnosis.
It is a technician’s responsibility to prepare a patient for the procedures by explaining step by step medical proceedings. Patients are instructed to remove jewellery, clothes or other items which could act as a hurdle for the equipment, they make the patient position correctly and protect them by the overexposure. Sometimes they even inject agents based on barium and iodine to improve the quality of the image. Radiology technicians review the results with radiologist once they have captured the image on digital film and take suggestion when necessary. Radiology technicians are also responsible for managing and updating the patient’s record and maintaining the equipments. Radiology technicians through rigorous education and training or by some additional training sessions become radiologic technologists
Key Responsibilities of Radiology Technician :
• Maintaining and adjusting imaging equipments.
• Follow instructions of the physician to get the correct image.
• Preparing patients for the proceedings, taking their medical history and answering their queries.
• Shielding the exposed areas of the body of patient to protect them
• Position the patient and the equipment in a right way so as to get the correct image.
• Examine the images taken and work with the radiologist to determine whether there is a need to take other images.
• Managing and updating patient’s record.
Radiology Technician Salary:
In the United States the average salary of a radiology technicians ranges from $24,000 – $36,000 per annum. If the radiology technician owns a bachelor’s degree then the average salary would be around $63,000 per annum and if he or she is holding a fellowship degree then the annual salary would be$350, 000 . Radiology technicians who have a work experience of less than a year receives about $35,000 per year. Radiology technician has various advantages like they set benefits of paid vacations, paid sick leaves standard insurance plans and many more as an additional income.
According to the statistical data of salary.com the average salary for radiology is $48,619. There are a number of factors which differ the earning of various radiology technicians. Numerous factors are included like educational qualification, work experience, training certification and precise geographical location. And so you must give your best to get the best possible training and get certified in various areas of radiology. The most important thing about being a radiographer is that numerous opportunities will be open for you.
How To Become a Radiology Technician :
To pursue a career as Radiology technician firstly you will have to get into a certification program of one to two years, then an associate’s degree in two years or a bachelor’s degree of four-years. A certification program might last from 1 to 1 and a half year. This program is beneficial especially for individuals having compelling experience in radiology technology.
Certification program courses can be acquired online, through community colleges, technical schools, and some hospitals. In order to gain the necessary training hospital programs might have conditions of employment. Institutions are offering a certification program in order to require an in-depth coursework schedule.
People who aspire to get into radiologic technology usually prefer a two-month associate’s degree. Some universities offer a bachelor’s degree in Radiologic Technology, and they have their own eligibility criteria for admissions. Common coursework contains radiation physics, anatomy, pathology and radio biology.
To make a career in radiology technology you must be familiar with the medical field which usually include anatomy, chemistry, biology, radiology theory, mathematics and patient safety courses. For radiology technology programs it is mandatory to have previous medical experience and very good understanding of medical terminology, office technology or ethics coursework. The foundation of radiology education usually includes.
To become a radiology technician the main requirement is to get graduated from a formal training program in radiologic technology. To get admission into any radiologic technology program a high school degree or an equivalent GED is required. Where in some radiology technology schools you need to pass an entrance exam and they also check whether you are cleared of any criminal records, they do a verification check. While becoming a radiology tech you can also enrol in a formal training program which can let you earn an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree certificate. Minimally you must earn an associate’s degree certificate to get employed, moreover right now employers prefer to get a bachelor’s degree certificate.
Career Aspect as Radiology Technician :
Radiographers are in great demand in the healthcare field ,they have a faster-than-average growth. Radiology technicians are in demand as there is an increase in the number of middle-aged and older patients who are the primary users of diagnostic procedures. Radiologic technologists who are multi-talented means who are highly qualified and are having credentialed knowledge in different types of diagnostic image technology, like nuclear medicine or radiography and sonography will have the best employment opportunities.
People planning to take further steps for higher radiology positions, such as radiologist assistant, administrator or director can be compelling. Having a bachelor’s degree and starting your career as a radiology technician, and then pursuing certifications further, will definitely make you achieve job stability with higher salary that much sooner, though initially it might be more challenging for you. Since positions such as radiology assistant require a bachelor’s degree, in addition to other components, having that level of education at the outset will potentially smooth your advancement in the future.